Friday 18 April 2014

Cheapskate Composting

If you are curious about composting but are limited by the size of your outdoor space and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on fancy rotating composting bins, I encourage you to get started now. There is so much plant material available to start you off on your composting journey with the spring garden clean up. Next year you can have your own nutrient rich soil to add to your garden or containers.

I live in a suburban area with limited lot sizes. There isn’t a great deal of space for expansive gardens and the virtually free compost piles. But I also know the benefits of composting. It is possible to make compost in a limited space on a limited budget.

It is the time of year for me to add good quality, nutrient rich organic material to my raised beds. With the wet weather that we get in the pacific northwest, essential nutrients can be washed away. While I do add some commercial fertilizer (mushroom and fish manure) to my soil, I like to add as much of my homemade compost to my garden. Not only am I saving money, I know exactly what has gone into my bins. 

Look at the gorgeous colour!



No comments:

Post a Comment