Friday 24 January 2014

Garlic Dreams

Looking out my kitchen window earlier this week I was thrilled to see some green poking through in my garlic raised bed. This is the first new green of the year in the yard. About this time of year I start to feel bogged down by darkness and chilly dampness. I need to begin thinking about what I would like to plant for the coming growing season and catching a glimpse of the garlic was just what I needed to get my imagination flowing. 

I can close my eyes, see myself running my fingers along the garlic scapes and smelling the heavenly scent of the pungent garlic. I can feel the warmth of the sun on my skin and hear my daughters shrieking and running around the yard. 

Despite using straw to mulch my garlic bed there were some weeds beginning to grow around the edges. Getting my fingers dirty doing some weeding in January was just what the doctor ordered at the end of an intense work week for me. 

I will have garlic dreams tonight. 


No comments:

Post a Comment